09 October 2007

Just a Comment on Iraq

I served with the Multi-National Security Transition Command - Iraq (MNSTC-I) between 2004 and 2006. I was responsible for writing the Statement of Work for the ISOF's Base Support at their original training area. They are a superb Iraqi Unit.

The IZAF was just getting off the ground (pun intended) when I was there. There primary mission was recon for ground forces.

In my opinion the keys to success are providing the Iraqis Security, Employment, and Empowerment.

Security - Coalition first and then phase in Iraqi

Employment - Using the security get the people back to work, not necessarily Coalition Supplied work.

Empowerment - The Iraqi people need to feel they are in control and can make their own choices in how their country should work. The coalition needs to become a supporting force, instead of a controlling force.

Just my 2 cents.

No comments: