16 June 2008

Medical Wonders

Over at a favorite Blog of mine Assistant Village Idiot. He discusses a phone call he had with a doctor, and the strange response he received. I also have a similar story to this.

During my whole adult life I have had to shave on a daily basis. Unlike some men, this has not been a choice, nor has it been a "I'm hairy as hell" necessity. It has always been job related. I have always looked forward to any opportunity to not shave.

During one of my non-shaving periods around 1999-2000, I noticed a bald spot on the edge of my left side jaw line. I compensated by trying to shave in the ultra hip goatee fashion, but within a few days I developed another bald spot on my right side upper lip. Soon there after, hair all over my body started falling out in patches the size of quarters. When I was showering I would have to was the hairs off of the bar of soap I was using.

I was scared. I thought I might have cancer, or something else. I had heard of alopecia areata, but I didn't know what it was. So, I called the local doctors and spoke with a nurse.

The nurse asked what my issue was, and I explained. She stated something about understanding that it was making me nervous and called for a doctor to give me quick consult. After a brief chat, where I was very specific in explaining that my "high and tight" style haircut, combined with the splotchy loss of hair, made my head feel like a velveteen globe of the earth, the proud doctor advised me that at 31+/- I was hitting middle-age and hair loss was common. He put the nurse back on and I made an appointment, but ensured that it was not with that particular doctor.

I arrived for the appointment in good form, 1/4 of one eyebrow still present, no arm hair on one arm, barley any on my legs and other unmentionable parts, and a head that looked like I was playing with plutonium in my basement. The new doctor asked what I had done about it, and I explained the phone call and my aversion to taking any medicine. He left the room and returned with the doctor I had spoke to on the phone. His expression was priceless, bug eyed and jaw dropping. I asked if other patients had also handled middle-age so well. He sputtered an apology and they decided to send me to a dermatologist.

After the appointment and seeing the dermatologist, I went after some second opinions. As a general consensus, the belief was I was suffering some form of alopecia areata, and short of steroid treatments I could not afford, and the fact I was not suffering any other significant health issues, I would have to "suck it up" and live with it. After awhile, probably six months, the hair stopped falling out, and it began to grow back in. The hair came back in a fine downy soft texture with a white color.

Now, all that I have left to show people of my experience is a few odd bald spots on my face (when I don't shave) and a couple of spots on my head that make it look like I have chosen the worst barber of all time. If you ever do get a chance to see me, don't worry about telling me I have a bald spot. The I/Ms let me know, every time I get a hair cut.

No comments: